The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in Kansas

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yeah-my-wifes-from-anchorage-and-married-an-26026393.aspx

Subject:  Re: Far Away Date:  10/24/2007  1:20 PM
Author:  mrparrotfez Number:  369 of 398

Yeah, my wife's from Anchorage and married an expatriate Kansan (now living in Washington). She's never been to Southeast but she knows it pours worse than Seattle (I lived there 16 years and hated every minute of the rain). I understand her missing termination dust, because I miss the Flint Hills big time. Used to go back once a year just to feel the solid ground (well, sometimes muddy), see buildings built of good Kansas limestone, and eat real beef. Washingtonians have no idea, by and large, what real beef tastes like. They've never heard of ranch rodeos.

We were back in Chase County one year in late summer and it was time to harvest my aunt and uncle's grapes (they insist on growing these and making wine in the Flint Hills). She wondered why it had to be done now. I explained: "Dear, this is Kansas agriculture. When it's time, it's time, and it's all hands on deck. Congratulations--you get to participate in a Kansas harvest."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us