The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in Kansas

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/grandfather-since-passed-away-was-once-a-chase-26027741.aspx

Subject:  Re: Far Away Date:  10/24/2007  5:44 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  375 of 398

Grandfather (since passed away) was once a Chase county commissioner. Grandmother lives on the ranch with aunt and uncle; she was a Wilson then (and now) a Johnson; her mom knew Mr. White. Dad's family are Kelleys, now all died out in those parts.

Great-Aunt (by marriage) Nora was an Ice, of the Cedar Point Ices. The cemetary there is full of them. My father's people are buried in Newton, and as we drove past Cedar point on Hwy 50 he'd say that one day he'd like to stop and put flowers on the graves of her and Uncle Rainey (Showalter).

We never got around to it while Dad was alive, but one day when Cousin Barbara and I were on our way to Newton we stopped. Felt good. That weekend in Newton Cousin Shirley (Whitney, nee Pletcher), may she rest, mentioned that an Ice was a prominent Newton attorney. I said, "Tell him to get off his dead butt and get up to Cedar Point and decorate the graves!"

Honestly, these moderns!

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us