The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-appreciate-the-replys-in-regards-to-my-26047184.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset allocations Date:  10/30/2007  2:14 PM
Author:  101PFDR Number:  59919 of 76418

I appreciate the reply's.

In regards to my "semi-liquid" account, I probrably should be a little bit more clear. It is not intended as an emergency fund, as I do have roughly 4 months of living/real estate expenses in a standard savings account. But rather a group of stocks that I would prefer to leave be, unless a better opportuntity exists (i.e. real estate but that's a subject for another time)

In regards to my original questions it would seem that the consensus agrees that I should maintain an investment into the S&P 500 as well as diversify outside with international stocks. I was original intending to go completely outside the US with my mutual funds, but I can see the wisdom in maintaing a core of the S&P500.

As to my level of risk, I feel pretty comfortable with my tolerance. I have doubled down and even tripled (i.e. MO) on stocks before in the past. A downturn in my opinion is simply a time to accumulate more shares.

I think I will take the plunge into EEM at the start of 08 (met my 07 contribution max already)

Finally I think I will stick with Vanguard as my mutual fund family. I feel comfortable with company and understand how to navigate their site already. Plus it'll be easier for my record keeping.

Thank You
Mike
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us