The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/folgore-late-to-the-discussion-but-been-busy-26060907.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset Allocation for 20 years out Date:  11/2/2007  4:33 PM
Author:  readla Number:  75 of 83

Folgore,

Late to the discussion, but been busy with year end and such.

I only have 5.5 years of Fed Service in, so I will be here for a while as well.

The L fund at 2030 is really to conservative for me as well.

I have an agressive mix of 33% C, 33% S, and 34% I. I have kept it here since I started.

Even with the big drops in the past month, I am still happy with the results, as it seems that the I fund balances out what the C & S are doing when I do have time to watch the performance.

I figure with 24.5 years until I can retire at 59 1/2 (That will be my 30 years in Fed Service) that I have a while yet to be agressive to try to maximize my returns. I don't think I'll even touch the G fund for at least another 8 years.

I have just under 11% going into TSP right now, and keep bumping it up bit by with my promotions and step increases.

I think that the best plan is to just contribute as much as you can, as aggressively as you are comfortable, early on, and let it ride.

With the Administrative costs as low as they are in TSP compared to my previous 401K with Fidelity, I've really seen my preformance improve, and am very happy with my returns.

Amy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us