The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jeff-forgive-me-if-you-know-this-already-but-i-26111262.aspx

Subject:  Re: Optimizing Blends with Sharpe/(GSD^x) Date:  11/18/2007  5:57 PM
Author:  StevnFool Number:  204040 of 252118

Jeff,

Forgive me if you know this already, but I am not sure if you fully understand the logic behind the Sharpe Ratio.

First, I assume you appreciate that for any strategy, you can increase or decrease the CAGR and GSD by adjusting your leverage (cash or margin).

The Sharpe Ratio was constructed in such a way (with one simplification - i.e. that the interest paid for margin is the same as the interest received for cash) that irrespective of the leverage employed on a given strategy, the Sharpe Ratio remains the same.

If you feel there is a max level of volatility that you can live with - say a GSD of 20 - then the way to maximize your CAGR is to find the strategy with the highest Sharpe Ratio and adjust the leverage to give you a GSD of 20.

I hope I have explained this sufficiently well that you can see that maximizing Sharpe is the best way to realise your goal of maximizing CAGR within your volatility tolerance.

StevnFool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us