The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / College Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-with-jennifer-the-proposition-which-26112541.aspx

Subject:  Re: Paying for college with Loans Date:  11/19/2007  9:59 AM
Author:  BlueGrits Number:  2807 of 2818

I agree with Jennifer.

The proposition which should be put to the kids is, "We have $40K total each for you to spend on college - what do you want to do with it?" Whatever is beyond that is *their* responsibility to hustle whether it be through personal savings already accumulated or work. (You *have* been telling them that college expenses are *their* worry, haven't you?)

Loans may be an option, but I'd only do that for a child already shown to be responsible and with a targeted after graduation plan as to what they want to do. That is, I wouldn't co-sign "so you can go to college" but would for "I want to be a <fill in the blank> so I'm going to college."

I know, I know. Some will say college is for education, not job training but education in the abstract (esp. at today's prices) would be a true luxury if one didn't have a plan to actually use it.

BG
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us