The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Blogs, Blogging and Bloggers

Subject:  I just writing a blog- What do you think? Date:  11/23/2007  12:25 PM
Author:  Macintosh100 Number:  184 of 201

Hey Guys,

I am a graduate student and for a class I just started a Blog on personal finance. I was hoping some experienced and KIND folks at the Fool boards could check out my blog and let me know what they think.

I am new to writing and to Blogging so I would appreciate your feedback and comments. You can comment on the blog itself.

thanks much,

Here is the address

here is an example:

7 Steps to Financial Security
Step 1
Pay off Credit Cards and high interest debt

Step 2
Create a reserve account for Emergencies

Step 3
Buy Life Insurance

Step 4
Create a Will and Power of Attorney

Step 5
Start Investing in the Stock Market with an Index Fund

Step 6
Become a perpetual Investor and Saver

Step 7
Invest in yourself

Welcome to the Gamblers Ruin Blog and thank you for visiting us.

I have been a passionate investor for many years and I am a firm believer that there is no better place to increase wealth in the long term than the Stock Market. After reading a million plus words on other blogs, financial websites and books, I decided to start a blog of all that I have learnt or will learn in the world of investing and finance. I am using this medium to both investigate and comprehend the world of finance.

What’s with the name?

Gamblers ruin is a theory of probability that essentially means that if you play (read gamble) long enough, you will go bankrupt. The theory basically states that whoever starts with a larger pot has a greater chance of winning. Many people consider the stock market to be a supersized gambling machine with unbeatable odds. So Gamblers ruin was the perfect name to start a blog on finance. I truly believe that the stock market is NOT a gambling machine but a real vehicle for achieving long term wealth creation.

Where do I start?

I have made a list of Steps that are a good starting point for a journey to financial nirvana. Although, I came up with 7 to begin with, I am sure there are many more steps that make the journey even smoother. These 7 steps are:

Step 1
Pay off Credit Cards and high interest debt

This is a no brainer. If you have Credit Card balances that are outstanding with interest rates higher than 0%. Paying them should be the first step to financial independence. If you are paying interest on your balances, paying off your Credit Card guarantees that rate of return.

Step 2
Create a Savings or Money Market account for Emergencies

Calculate your monthly expenses into a dollar amount; this includes Rent/Mortgage, Insurance, Groceries, Utilities and other monthly expenses. Multiply this amount into 6 and you have your amount to be put into a Savings or Money Market account. Thi