The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Fools For Christ

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/paid-in-full-26160957.aspx

Subject:  Paid in Full Date:  12/5/2007  8:03 AM
Author:  BermudaKenn Number:  1102 of 1113

It was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed . . . but with the precious blood of Christ I Peter 1:18–19 (NIV)

When I think of the word, redeemed, I'm reminded of my childhood. I used to collect empty coke or pepsi bottles, and take them a "redemption" center---neighborhood mom and pop store---and redeem them. 5 cents a bottle was a good return for a kid in the late '60s.

In my email this morning, by Karen Valentin

"I was walking to the subway station in a daze, weighed down with anxiety about my future. Life seemed fragile and uncertain, as if the concrete sidewalk under me would crack at any second and swallow me whole.

I reached the subway stairs and began fishing through my bag for my fare card. "Great!" I growled under my breath. My card was gone, and I wasn't sure if I had enough money to get home. I slowly climbed down the stairs, collecting the coins in my purse. As I did, I made brief eye contact with a woman standing at the bottom who looked as if she was waiting for someone.

I stopped midway and counted the quarters and dimes. Not enough! I continued walking, digging deeper to find twenty more cents. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, the woman approached me. "Do you need a fare card?" she asked.

"Excuse me?" I said, snapping out of my daze.

"It's an unlimited pass," she said. "It's valid through midnight."

I dropped the coins back in my bag and took her card with my first smile of the day. "Thank you so much!"

I slid the card through the reader. GO, it said in bright green lights. "Thank You, Lord," I whispered as I went through the turnstile.

I had been worrying about my life, panicking about my future, wondering if I had enough to get through. Let it go, I felt God saying. You'll never have enough. But I do, and I've already paid the way.

Lord, never let me forget the price You paid for me."

by Karen Valentin
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us