The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/please-lets-try-not-to-just-state-the-obvious-26197897.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: What now, fellow retiree inveestors? Date:  12/16/2007  5:43 PM
Author:  AcmeFool Number:  60426 of 75625

Please, let's try not to just state the obvious -- "stay diversified" or "hang on tight" and such.

Why? IMO, this is the best advice that can be given. If you want inferior advice, I guess that is your prerogative, but it does not make much sense to me.

Will we slide (or fall) into a true recession?

Maybe. But that does not mean the stock market will drop significantly. During the last recession -- March, 2001 through November, 2001 -- the S&P500 basically treaded water. In that same span, the Nasdaq went up.

As is often the case, the markets saw the recession coming and priced that into things *before* the country was actually in a recession. It is entirely possible this is the case today as well. For that reason (and many others), I think the advice you don't want to hear is easily the best way to proceed.

Acme
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us