The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/question-on-retirement-investing-26205428.aspx

Subject:  Question on Retirement Investing Date:  12/18/2007  8:04 PM
Author:  AndreDavis Number:  60441 of 76237

This is probably a really stupid question but if I set up a Roth account with an online broker, am I free to buy/sell stocks as much as I want within this account without being charged taxes from the govt on its growth? I've never had the opportunity to actually buy stocks with a retirement account because my 401K has always been in Vanguard Mutual Fundss offered with my company's plan. A year ago I started putting month into a Roth and decided I would rather have control over it than letting the financial planner collect on the front end of the Mutual Fund he recommended.

So, I set up a Roth account at FolioFN.com and had the funds from the other Roth account sold to cash and transfered into this new Roth account I have added onto my FolioFN account (it is separate from my non-retirement stuff there).

I do understand the difference between retirement investing/funding and regular investing accounts. I just wanted to make sure I was free to buy/sell anything (such as stocks) with the Roth just like I do with my regular (non-retirement) account so long as I don't take money out of it due to the penalties.

Thanks in Advance,
Andre
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us