The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-want-to-have-the-paper-in-hand-and-i-dont-26242119.aspx

Subject:  Re: Online vs US mail Date:  1/2/2008  1:17 PM
Author:  khintul Number:  12238 of 19218

I just want to have the paper in hand and I don't want to print it.

I was the same way, but at the beginning of '07 I decided I was going to make a really good effort to go paperless.

I long ago opted out of having statements mailed to me with every account that gave that option, but still printed them off every month to have.

I created a file called 07 statements, and every month when I was notified the statement was ready I downloaded it to this file and then immediately paid the bill online. I made sure to have backups of the file (though the statements are still available online for several years worth). This has worked out beautifully, and as far as I'm concerned it's the only way to go. I periodically burn all the statements to CD.

The advantages to opting out of having statements mailed to you are many - you are notified by email as soon as the statement is ready, then when you make your payment online you receive another email thanking you for the payment (talking about CC statements here). Use an online mail account for these so there's no danger of losing the message if you change computers or ISPs, and you have as much backup of your information as you could want, and don't have to worry about your information getting in the wrong hands as could happen with paper statements mailed to you.

Karon
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us