The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-not-changing-anything-based-on-the-showing-of-26252586.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hedging Bets Away From Roth Investing Date:  1/5/2008  12:37 PM
Author:  TheXRayStyle Number:  97644 of 121565

I'm not changing anything based on the showing of one candidate in one primary.
rad

An excellent point, and looking over what I read, I may have overstated the influence on this particular primary showing on my point. The Iowa primaries simply served as an example and got me thinking about how much things could change with regard to tax laws in the 40 years before my retirement. I'd be interested to hear what others are doing to safeguard themselves against possible changes based on the whims of future congresses or other elected officials, if anything. Of course, by virtue of being unknown future changes, it's impossible to say what the best strategies are, but diversifying a bit within different kinds of tax-advantaged accounts seems to me to be a reasonable course of action. I think that the FairTax movement serves as a great example of how drastically things could change, and the idea of a shift to a consumption tax seems to be becoming more mainstream.

~X
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us