The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Stocks 2007 Review

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-e-mailed-in-a-comment-about-this-to-mf-26269010.aspx

Subject:  Re: Stocks 2007 - still good investments? Date:  1/10/2008  12:11 PM
Author:  grapeswhizzzz Number:  3 of 4

I have e-mailed in a comment about this to MF several times but it keeps bouncing back to me as misdirected or undeliverable. Here is what I said:

I see the advertisements for Stocks 2008, and I have a comment about Stocks 2007. I compiled a list of the recommended stocks and tracked them throughout the year. I see a return, from the beginning of 2007 through the present, of -16%. I'm sure this could be off by some amount, since I only tracked stock prices. I'm sure there are some dividends not accounted for. I set up a dummy portfolio with $10,000 invested in each of 14 recommendations. (I'm not certain that I didn't miss one or more recommendations - there could have been more than 14; I don't remember if I left any out.) With commissions to buy of $6.95 on each, there is a total cost basis of $140,100.34. Value today is showing $117,240.11. I'm not writing to quibble over exact amounts, but I do not see that these recommendations, taken together, have worked out to be profitable investment ideas. Is there something important I have missed? Have others commented on this? It does not inspire confidence in MF recommendations, unfortunately, and I thought maybe there would be some comment, possibly of explanation, or maybe just a general comment returned to me.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us