The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ira-mayhem-26294497.aspx

Subject:  IRA Mayhem Date:  1/18/2008  8:01 AM
Author:  Hburn77 Number:  61038 of 75335

Help, I’ve been taken! As a young naive, first year officer in the Navy, about 7 years ago, I got involved with a company called First Command which sold me a 30 year Roth IRA plan. Basically, half of my first years contributions (3000 at the time) went straight to First Command as a service fee / commission, not into the Fidelity Destiny I fund (now called the Fidelity Advisor Diversified Stock A fund, FDTOX). Now 7 years down the road I pay no fees but am unhappy with both the Fidelity Advisor Diversified Stock A fund and any association with First Command which calls me every other week to explain to me why I need a large life insurance plan purchased through them of course.

I have been maxing out my Roth since I started 7 years ago, saving 10% into my Thrift Savings Plan (military non-matching 401K), and for the last year and a half buying all your monthly recommendations of which I look forward to holding onto for many years.

At 30 years old I am still young and have plenty of years of work left in me before retirement. Now that I am in this long term plan of which I have paid all fees upfront should I stay in it or is it time to take more control over my retirement IRA?

Thanks for the help!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us