The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hburn77-thanks-for-serving-i-feel-for-you-26294925.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRA Mayhem Date:  1/18/2008  10:21 AM
Author:  djpeteski Number:  61046 of 75340

Hburn77, thanks for serving.

I feel for you. Perhaps they spend more time with us enlisted types but we were warned about these kind of scams. Still many fell for it, or even worse ones. The biggest rip off was buy costume jewelry for your mom/SO to establish credit. Typically the stuff was worth like $40, but the kids were charged like $600 (1 year at $50/month).

As always, you are you own best resource. Get out when you can, while minimizing fees. Read the documentation, figure it out.

It sounds like you got involved in a variable life plan. If you need life insurance buy (term) life insurance. Not whole, not variable, nothing like that. SGLI is your best first bet, if you need more 20 year level term from USAA will do the trick.

On your plan from the scammer see if you can reduce the life insurance portion to the minimum. Like 10K (that will reduce the drain on your investment going pay life insurance). If they want to sell you more insurance threaten to kill them and their family while burning their house. Did I mention that I was a infantry? Then when the surrender fees are low pull out.

Semper Fi Goat.

Sorry I could not resist.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us