The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Single Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/single-sahps-26340521.aspx

Subject:  Single SAHPs Date:  2/1/2008  9:22 AM
Author:  Minxie Number:  681 of 681

My company is laying me off at the end of February. I've already been offered a job in VA but between the costs for housing and daycare, I just couldn't make the numbers work. Basically I would be working just to cover those two costs.

So...what I am considering is moving to a very low cost of living area like IN for the next few years until TW is old enough for public school. I would find a part-time job to keep health insurance coverage and pay incidentals. I'll be receiving a small severance package that I can use to pay off my truck so my bills would basically only be living expenses.

A large part of me hates having to drop my boy off at school each morning while I go to work. I've always thought I'd love to be able to stay home with him but bills have to be paid. With the severance to pay off my truck and if we can minimize our living expenses, it might be feasible.

Has anyone done anything like this? Do you have any advice? What about suggestions for part-time work I could do at home so I could even avoid a small daycare bill?

TIA,

Minxie
P.S. Yes, I receive child support; it covers one-fourth of TW's current expenses.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us