The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Employer-Granted Stock Options

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/also-if-you-like-the-long-term-prospects-of-your-26357225.aspx

Subject:  Re: Exercising, Selling, Holding Date:  2/6/2008  11:21 AM
Author:  mathetes Number:  2048 of 2049

Also, if you like the long-term prospects of your company and aren't planning on leaving soon, don't be too quick to exercise those options once they vest. Options are often valid for a long time (10 years is typical) and you could end up with a lot more money down the road. Of course, there is opportunity cost risk in that approach, but I find that more appealing than the very real risk of stock depreciation if you exercise and hold.

Indeed!

I know many people retired from the company for which I worked (I also have now retired), people who retired from jobs as factory workers or clerical/secretarial positions, retired as millionaires because they just held their options until close to the end of the 10 years they had to exercise, and then did a buy-hold.

As the first post said, one does have to face the risk of the stock's falling in value --- either by waiting out the period before exercising, OR by buying and holding for the long term --- but that's no different from any other long term buy-hold strategy for building wealth with stocks. Stock options from one's own company are great because (if you think it's a good company with good long-term prospects) those options are better than the best long term calls (LEAPs) you can buy on the open market; and they're free!

mathetes
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us