The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Dividend Growth Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-was-a-data-point-nowhere-in-my-post-did-i-26412184.aspx

Subject:  Re: 35% dividend increase Date:  2/24/2008  1:24 AM
Author:  Hohum77 Number:  4208 of 8711

It was a data-point. Nowhere in my post did I suggest to rush out and buy NM because of the dividend increase.

Here's an observation, I think it speaks volumes when a smaller company in a very cyclical industry increases its dividend, especially in the current market environment. Meanwhile, bigger and "safer" blue-chip companies like Citigroup, Fannie Mae and Washington Mutual have slashed their dividends. I have not verified this, but I suspect that NM's "tiny" dividend yield is greater than the dividend yield of at least half the companies in the S&P 500. If I were to buy NM shares, it would be because I believe the company growth prospects. The dividend increase speaks to the company's confidence in its business.

BTW, if your statement
I do not buy stocks for their dividends. is true, why are you
frequently on the Berkshire Hathaway (B-H) board complaining about B-H not paying a dividend? Those guys, Warren Buffett & Charlie Munger, must be lousy investors ;)

Hohum
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us