The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Teens and Their Money

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-look-up-moreof-the-not-stock-graph-26424497.aspx

Subject:  Re: Stock of the Week: Activision (ATVI) Date:  2/27/2008  10:07 PM
Author:  TMFGebinr Number:  1998 of 2674

I look up more!..of the not stock graph related...stuff..(?)

I wish this could help...

Hi tobyas132,

Looking at reviews and ratings of current games is a good start and helps us think about sales of these games going into the future. Let me see if I can point you toward some other "non graph" type of research.

One place you might try looking is Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/) and looking at the news from the company or that mentions the company.

Go to that website, put in the ticker symbol in the Get Quotes box (and click the button, of course), then click the Headlines link on the left.

The Motley Fool (hey!) had an article about Activision today. What was that all about?

Electronic Arts (EA) had some news on Monday from Investor's Business Daily. This is a competitor, so it helps to know a bit about them, too. What's this one about? Actually, there's a whole bunch of articles on Monday about the same subject (at least it seems so from the headlines). What's going on?

There's an article from last Friday called "Letting Gamers be Developers." What's that about? How do the new types of consoles, especially the Wii with it's motion-sensing wand (is that the right word?), change "the rules" in developing new games?

This kind of information gives a broader view of a company, its industry, and its competitors. It helps a lot for us to get a sense of how the company makes money and what issues it is up against both for the short term and the long term. Very important stuff to know. I mean if the existence of the PS3, Xbox, and Wii, or that special headphone (I don't know if that is cool or scary), changes the playing field, that's significant to the future of Activision, wouldn't you say?

Those are some ideas on where to start looking at the company from this view point. Let's see where you can take it. :-)

Cheers,
Jim
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us