The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-i-guess-you-can-get-a-little-bit-of-a-double-26429244.aspx

Subject:  Re: Dependent Care FSAs Date:  2/29/2008  12:13 PM
Author:  impolite Number:  99145 of 121572

So I guess you can get a little bit of a double dip. You can exclude $5k from income AND take a credit for the last $1k of expenses.

From a similar discussion elsewhere...

This year will be the first year I will be able to prove payment of all daycare expenses for both kids. Our decree states we each get one kid as a dependent on our taxes. So, he will be claiming one, but I will also have daycare expenses for the one that he claims.

Since he will not be claiming daycare expenses, can I claim expenses on that child even if I cannot list him as a dependent? I can prove his address is mine, but we *legally* have joint custody - mine is the primary residence and the one used for education purposes and most living time, and I am to be given child support. I pay daycare directly.

Also, what about years where I have unbalanced amounts? Could I still take $5k pre-tax and the $1k credit even if the expenses were over $3k for one kid and under $3k for the other?

Assuming my employer implements and I can fully fund $5k by the end of the year, if I can claim this second child's expenses I would still be able to use $1k for the credit this year and for a few more years.

impolite
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us