The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Trust capital loss carryover skips years Date:  2/29/2008  6:32 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  99152 of 127549

I agree with ed. File amended returns for 2005 and 2006 to document how much of the capital loss is still available. In addition to checking the box at the top of the 1041, I would attach an explanation to each of the amended returns explaining why you're amending and what the impact is on that return. It always helps to direct the IRS reviewer to the relevant parts so that they don't waste time reviewing (and perhaps questioning) other things.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us