The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sp-quot-im-sure-there-will-be-plenty-of-26433500.aspx

Subject:  Re: Green Condos Date:  3/2/2008  12:21 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  1246 of 1488

SP : "
I'm sure there will be plenty of people preening about their use of CFL bulbs in the light sockets of the 4000 square foot home they have for two parents and two children"

My neighbors, who moved from CA, were telling me how they 'upgraded' their 17 year old house when they moved in....

They replaced nearly all the bulbs with CFLs....then promply leave half of them on 12 hours a day...the outside lights (CFL) on both sides of the front door and the large spot above them are on 24 hours a day.

They have a 60 inch large screen TV. It is on 18 hours a day - because it 'entertains' the dogs - whether they are home or not.

Amazing......and of course, she complains about 'the high electric bills' in Texas.....

I suspect she likely replaced some of the appliances with fancier stainless steel versions......and likely they are more energy efficient than the previous ones.

They spent $80,000 likely 'fixing up the house' which was in showcase condition before (the previous couple were always doing something)......so you wonder......

Yep, they have CFLs but they can't be bothered to turn them off, or buy a 10 watt radio to entertain the dogs instead of the 500w power hog TV......(two little white yappers)....

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us