The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Foreign tax paid ? Date:  3/4/2008  12:12 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  99208 of 127513

What's the best way to determine this so I can input accurate info into the software?

You answered your own question right here:

To determine the portion of Box 1a that is foreign dividends, look at the paperwork provided by the dividend payer. It should list a foreign amount or a foreign source percentage you can use to calculate the portion that is from a foreign country.

Check your account statements. Look at each dividend payment. The foreign tax withholding will almost always be stated separately from the dividend, making the job easy.

BTW - don't you know enough about your investments to know which companies are foreign? Or which mutual funds invest in foreign stocks?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us