The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ha-ha-reading-further-i-see-we-were-not-the-only-26450990.aspx

Subject:  Re: Changing cars (or not)? Date:  3/7/2008  1:56 PM
Author:  llambe Number:  269204 of 308568

Ha, ha, reading further I see we were not the only lucky ones - so having a manual does NOT keep other kids from driving but may keep it down to close friends :) Still a good skill to know though IMO

To get back to topic: Nice analysis (as always) AJ! I guess it still seems to me that replacing one car first and paying off the debt that would need to be transferred anyway is the best way to go. The furniture you already have the money for anyway, and insurance is already in your budget. Then if you see the difference then decide whether sell the next one.

Reasons:
1- debt is being transferred anyway, why not wait a few months before getting the new CC "loan" (this does depend on getting CC checks that can be deposited like a check though vs having to do a transfer)
2- for me, it seems I go into things like this "thinking" I'll be saving all this money and it doesn't always seem to work out that way because I forgot to account for something (insurance?) or I spent more than I should have to get extra features I wanted or something
3- paying off the debt AND buying 1 new car would limit the amount for the new car thus controlling for reason 2

Lael
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us