The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tax-filing-questions-decedant-26506437.aspx

Subject:  Tax filing questions - decedant Date:  3/25/2008  10:23 PM
Author:  KLTolly Number:  99755 of 121563

I am filing my parents taxes for 2007, using Turbotax.

Dad passed away in 8/2007, so he is marked as decedent; Mom filing as surviving spouse.

Dad's RMD from IRA was NOT made in 2007 (scheduled for 12/07); Mom elected to take his IRA as her own, so they overrode the named owner of the account. She took her minimum distribution (9/07) as the amount determined 12/31/06 based on her age and the balance of the account. The Bank has told me that since the account was retitled in advance of the distribution date, that no distribution is necessary.

Mom was hospitalized at the time that I was working on her taxes; I have her power of attorney.I was searching for 3 errant 1099s in order to complete and submit the filing.

I now have all of the information to file, but Mom passed unexpectedly last week. I have updated that fact in TurboTax, and it is now no longer reverting to requiring Dad's RMD for 2007 to be input. (FWIW, I am also Executrix of her estate)

I am executrix of the will. I was planning to efile her returns for simplicity purposes. Can I do so, or must I send in paper based forms with death certificates, surrogates certificates, etc?

TIA for any advice,

KLTolly

As an addendum to my prior post (#99177) on not using my CPA this year, it has been a most gracious arrangement. (Special thank to Peter and Ira for their invaluable guidance)They requested a copy of my return for them to conduct a free review, as well as to keep in their records, and told me I completed the returns with flying colors, no adjustments necessary.They also sent a fruit basket upon word of my Mother's passing. Should anyone need a referral to a terrific CPA firm in the Princeton NJ area, I will gladly relay the information upon request.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us