The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Diff between 401K,regular IRA, brokerage acc Date:  3/31/2008  5:38 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  62079 of 88778

My CPA informed me that adding to a rollover IRA creates confusion when its time to start making withdrawals during retirement. For withdrawals from 401K, you pay federal tax, but for withdrawals from a regular IRA, you pay federal and state taxes.

This depends on the state you're living in when you take withdrawals. Some give no break, some tax no retirement income, and some, evidently including Mass, are in between.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us