The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-mention-of-the-tax-banter-in-reservoir-dogs-26529807.aspx

Subject:  Re: Out of Curiosity: On Tipping Date:  4/3/2008  1:58 AM
Author:  Tiddman Number:  99965 of 121114

The mention of the tax banter in Reservoir Dogs reminds me of an embarrassing tipping story.

I am generally a decent tipper (or so I'd like to think), I usually give about 12-15% even if the service is routine. I'm understanding if a server is rushed, and it really takes a lot to make me reconsider the tip.

I was once at dinner for a special occasion with my wife (then my fiancee) and the service was so bad it was funny (literally, we were laughing by the end). The server greeted us and forgot about us so we sat for a long while. She brought the entrees before the appetizers, which were wrong, and when she brought out the appetizers, they were were also wrong. She ignored repeated requests for water, and I eventually got up and got it myself. She only gave one of us silverware, and then when she brought the wine, she only gave us one glass (really). By the time dessert came around, we were laughing about it and decided to go somewhere else for dessert. For one of the very few times in my life, I left no tip.

The next morning, my wife runs into the waitress at the grocery store! "Oh, you're Mrs. Tiddman. How was your dinner?" she asked, with a frosty tone... Unfortunately my wife had to take the embarrassment for my cheapness...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us