The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-read-lots-of-columnists-touting-the-26533170.aspx

Subject:  Re: Withdrawal rates in retirement Date:  4/4/2008  12:30 AM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  62121 of 75377

I've read lots of columnists touting the advantages of indexing who recommend putting most of your assets into an S&P 500 fund.

We have a frequent poster also gives the same recommendation.

Are you talking about me? 'sokay, slap me around, I don't care.

Anyway....
1st: I've seen few 401k's what offer a MSCI world index fund choice, but virtually all of them offer an S&P500 fund. An option that is not available to you isn't really an option, is it?
2nd: I'm always ready & eager to learn now things--especially things that will may me more profit, so I googled up MSCI World index funds/etfs.

And drew a pretty big blank.

"iShares MSCI World ETF (IWRD)" came up, but it doesn't seem to be listed on an American exchange, only UK, Luxeburg, etc. So that's no good.

How much effort should you expect somebody to put in to find one of these mythical funds/etf's that do the MSCI World index?

The closest thing I could find (that was readily available to a typical US investor) after 20 minutes searching via google was Fidelity Global Balanced (FGBLX).
Pulled up a yahoo chart and compared FGBLX to S&P500 for the last 5 years, and S&P is up 58% while FGBLX is up 52%.

Last 4 years, S&P500 is up 20% while FGLX is up 12%.

So, where the heck can I find this World Index fund that's up 26%? And how does it compare over different time frames?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us