The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-alot-everyone-i-really-appreciate-the-time-26556321.aspx

Subject:  Re: Need good investing plan Date:  4/11/2008  10:17 PM
Author:  phillyd100 Number:  62199 of 76395

Thanks alot everyone. I really appreciate the time and energy it took to chime in. My wife and I are going to research how much money we have in the college funds and probably put them in a Money Market. I think we have about $80,000 left in the one who is already 2 1/2 years into his education. He won't even use what's left. The younger kid has about $150,000 (it may be $180,000 ... we're going to look at that tonight as well.)

I also believe we have another $150,000 parked away in other accounts. We're going to get it all under control and take our time like you guys suggested.

My wife's tolerance for risk is minimal to zero (hence all the cash.) My younger son and I dont' mind risk ... we just bought some Ford stock (I believe it's going to be $25.00 in 3 years so I'm in.)

But now that we're not earning the money we once did with our career change she is understanding that we need to invest and grow our money. I'm thinking I'm not going to live very long but she will so I want her taken care of. She's a great woman.

I'm also thinking of encouraging her to go to work ... she's a CPA and an MBA and maybe just use a bit of her money to live (supplementing the Pastor's salary which is quite low comparative to what I made in my business) and invest the rest of that as well. Even in today's climate she should be able to earn decent money. I'm thinking of encouraging her to start her own accounting practice ... this way she earns money and will have something to sell at the end.

I'm really trying to retrain us from to move from "work" earners to "investment" earners.

Oh yeah .... our home is larger than we need and I can see us downsizing once the kids "get out!" Maybe sell the GTO and the valuable car parts and invest that too. I'm starting to get a taste for this project and want to attack it like I've done my previous business and now pastoring the church.

It's really the only way I know how to operate.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us