The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-besides-the-two-other-excellent-comments-i-26560846.aspx

Subject:  Re: Estate / death taxes: was my grandfather foo Date:  4/14/2008  10:53 AM
Author:  hockeypop Number:  62253 of 75383

Well, besides the two other excellent comments, I doubt you've begun to experience the possible ill feeling between the others who may benefit from the bequest.

When there is no plan anyone can take personally what "their share" should be, and there is no consideration for the personal situation of those inheriting the money. Probate is NOT the place to hash these postentially emotional, financial and legal issues.

FWIW my father, who I loved dearly, and who was a lawyer, and who during a lifetime was generally NOT foolish, died without a will. It contributed to killing my mother, a dispute with my brother that led to our not talking for 25 years, AND higher taxes. The taxes were the least of it. Get a will and legal advice.

Hockeypop
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us