The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-you-are-trying-to-understand-the-concept-26562655.aspx

Subject:  Re: Another Rental Property Question Date:  4/14/2008  5:50 PM
Author:  RealTaxTips Number:  100325 of 121426

I think you are trying to understand the concept of rental property losses/deductions in connection with your other income.

I will try to sum it up in a nutshell:
Rental income is a passive activity, and passive losses can only be offset by passive income (not your wages). However, you can deduct up to $25K in passive (rental) losses from your non-passive (wage)income if you make less than $100K. The $25K is phased out for higher incomes, and by the if you make $150K, the deduction is completely phased out. You cannot deduct any losses, and the loss is carried forward until it can be offset with other gains (rental income).

In your case, you seem to have rental losses that are "piling up" until they can be used in the future. There are only 2 ways around this:
1)Become a real estate professional(they can deduct unlimited losses)
2)Make less money (If your AGI is less than $100K, you should be able to deduct $25K in losses a year).

Like I said, that's everything in a very small nutshell. You should do some research to learn more.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us