The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Another Rental Property Question Date:  4/14/2008  7:02 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  100334 of 127547

In your case, you seem to have rental losses that are "piling up" until they can be used in the future. There are only 2 ways around this:
1)Become a real estate professional(they can deduct unlimited losses)
2)Make less money (If your AGI is less than $100K, you should be able to deduct $25K in losses a year).

There are three ways, but who's counting. You can always sell the property. All deferred losses are "released" in the year of sale.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us