The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA conversion Date:  4/15/2008  3:58 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  62279 of 88758

You should contact the company that the Roth IRA will be with and let them handle it for you. You should have your most recent statement from the old account to make the transfer as easy as possible.

There are several other ways to transfer money between IRA accounts, but you may get stuck with penalties and taxes if it is not done exactly right using the other methods.

Typically if you have stock in the account, it does not need to be sold to be transferred. When you talk with the company that you are moving the money to, ask them about any mutual funds that you have, some can be easily transferred, others will have to be sold, then transferred as cash then reinvested in the Roth.

The company that the old account is currently with at may charge a transfer fee or account closing fee of about $50 to $75 dollars. You should ask about this ahead of time.

For the Traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion, if you do your taxes with software like Turbo Tax you can make a copy of your tax return and enter the numbers as if you had converted to see the tax impact. Be sure to also check your state taxes.

If there is any question if you should convert the accounts or not,
you might want to wait until early December to do any IRA to Roth conversions because you will pretty well know your tax situation for the year then.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us