The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Voluntary Simplicity

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-i-have-to-admit-ive-become-very-jaded-26579128.aspx

Subject:  Re: Simplicity on Oprah Date:  4/20/2008  2:27 PM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  2159 of 2163

>> I have to admit I've become very jaded and cynical about the whole simplicity and green movements. I've decided I don't care about future generations (hey, I don't have kids), so from now on it's all about me.

The ironic thing is, my "carbon footprint" (I hate that term) will always be far, far, far smaller than any of these "green" celebrities. And most of what's best for me is, merely coincidentally, also very simple and good for the environment.
<<

Well, we don't have any kids either, but I personally wouldn't go so far as to say I don't care about the conditions we leave for future generations. But having said that, I'd also say that the decision not to have children is just about the "greenest" decision anyone can make.

Having thought about my original reply a little more, I want to make it clear that I don't think Oprah is doing a bad thing here. I just think we hear from so many people who often tell us to do things and make certain sacrifices they may not be making themselves. A perfect case in point is the amount of CO2 Al Gore puts into the air compared to the average family. I don't want to get this political, but you have people trying to "lead" on certain green causes and they are anything BUT living what they want the rest of us to do. And as a result, IMO, it's hard to really respect them as spokespeople for "green" living or simplicity or whatever else.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us