The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Fools with ADD/ADHD

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lacking-direction-masters-degree-but-no-career-26618081.aspx

Subject:  Lacking direction, Master's degree but no career Date:  5/3/2008  6:12 PM
Author:  janinaP Number:  306 of 317

I have found a lot of problems finding direction in my life and career. I know this is foolish, but I got a Master's degree in something that I thought I wanted to do (social work) but now I'm not sure. An expensive Master's degree :(

I love health care and am passionate about working with patients. I've already interned at a hospital and I love this setting. However, it's terrifying to think that I might need to get another degree if I want to stay in this setting but make a decent living.

I've thought about PT or OT. They pay better than social work but get to work with a lot of the same patients.

The thing I'm having a hard time getting over is feeling bad about my own foolishness for not fully evaluating my choice to get this degree in the first place. I did do a lot of research, but it turned out the choice that I made now seems like a bad one. This feels pretty rotten as I feel like I'm still without a career, but now I owe a lot of money on top of things.

Has anyone managed to get themselves out of this kind of a problem? It's not an ADD problem per se, but I do think that ADD played a role in my decision making style in the first place, so I wonder if other ADDers can relate and perhaps offer encouraging advice or thoughts?

Thanks!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us