The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Voluntary Simplicity

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-why-bother-improving-when-my-improvements-will-26625860.aspx

Subject:  Re: Simplicity on Oprah Date:  5/6/2008  5:40 PM
Author:  scollywaltz Number:  2163 of 2163

so why bother improving when my improvements will be small change compared to what others could do?

Maybe because it's a philosophy, not a contest??

I don't want to come off all "holier than thou" here, so let me first say that I am not the greenest person I know by a long shot. But I try to be environmentally conscious -- not because I want to best Al Gore, Oprah, or even my next door neighbor, but because it's the responsible thing to do. It doesn't make sense to waste natural resources just because someone else wastes more. I try to be responsible with what I have been given; that's all I have control over.

From this perspective, the size of Oprah's house is not really the point. I can still be glad that her employees have been alerted to a mindless waste of resources. And the attention this cup issue was given will probably lead Harpo employees to submit even more ideas that save resources (and money!). And because she's Oprah, it might even have an impact beyond her organization. I think that's a pretty worthwhile effort, no matter how big her house is.

I guess it still continues to amaze me how clueless so many Americans are.

Me too. :-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us