The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/of-course-the-truth-is-that-i-dont-care-because-26669513.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Pay-by-pound passenger airline travel? Date:  5/21/2008  5:31 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  12566 of 63131

Of course the truth is that I don't care because I absolutely despise flying and I avoid it as much as possible. I don't like going anywhere I can't drive in a car to.

I would like to visit Hawaii but that's not happening unless "then a miracle" occurs and I win the lottery. I recently told my sister that I don't really have much motivation to travel anymore because I don't really care to travel unless I can do it in ultra-luxurious style. If I can't go first class I'd just as soon stay home. If I can't eat out at fancy restaraunts, sleep in a really nice hotel, and fly first class, why should I want to leave home?

Even first class isn't what it once was, and that includes pre-9/11, before they started treating every passenger as a criminal who hasn't been caught yet.

In 1999 a good friend got mad at United and called asking if I'd like to go to Europe round-trip first class on his points that he wanted to burn before he told them to bug off forever. I agreed. It was nice, but it really wasn't as good as business class was in 1993 when I first flew to Europe. No lobster. No caviar. Why bother?

Oh, goodie. My NOAA radio just sounded a severe thunderstorm warning for the next 35 minutes. Should pass south of me. I digress.

I'm fond of saying that my idea of roughing it is not having 24-hour room service available. It means reduced travel, but when I do, getting there is a lot of fun. Last year I managed to cross a Transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 off my list, with an ocean voyage home on a different ship. It was worth the wait.

Hawaii is my missing state before I've been to all of them. It will have to wait until I can afford to sail.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us