The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-how-about-having-a-few-wider-than-normal-26675599.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Pay-by-pound passenger airline travel? Date:  5/23/2008  2:58 PM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  12577 of 59804

>> How about having a few wider than normal seats? I'd gladly pay a premium to get a seat that was even 5 or 6 inches wider. Yeah, I know I can do that by paying a really big premium for business class, but I don't need that much space. <<

Basically, you'd probably have to pay a 50% premium at minimum, because they'd have to turn 3 seats into 2 in order to do this on most planes and a 50% increase would be what is needed to make it revenue-neutral (especially now post-9/11 with almost all planes filled to full capacity due to a reduced number of flights). The aisles are probably about as narrow as FAA safety regulations will allow.

So I guess they need focus groups to determine whether someone would pay $500 for one of these seats instead of (say) $300 in regular coach.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us