The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-would-discourage-fat-people-like-me-from-26681742.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Pay-by-pound passenger airline travel? Date:  5/27/2008  9:22 AM
Author:  pachouly Number:  12604 of 63008

It would discourage fat people like me from traveling. Even more so than it all ready is. What I mean by that is that airline travel is all ready uncomfortable for fat people because we don't fit in the seats and the seat belts don't fit around us properly. There is also not enough leg room and our bodies and appendages bang up against the seat in front of us and don't rest comfortably in the narrow seats provided.

Airline seats are uncomfortable enough for me at 5'2" and 145 pounds (so a bit chunky, but not significantly overweight). I always feel bad for people who are larger/taller/broader.

Bigger people don't always take more room though. I used to fly fairly regularly for work and have had the pleasure of sitting next to guys shaped like linebackers who take great care not to encroach on my space (even to the point of avoiding the shared armrest!) and the dissatisfaction of sitting next to skinny little men who can't seem to keep their knees from trying to reach mine. The only thing I have found regularly is that women are generally less likely to encroach upon other people's space..

pachouly
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us