The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Lord Of The Rings

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/transcript-of-a-chat-between-jackson-del-toro-26686120.aspx

Subject:  Re: More about the Hobbit movies Date:  5/28/2008  3:23 PM
Author:  TheJTrain Number:  476 of 479

Transcript of a chat between Jackson & del Toro, answering fan questions mostly, with some "I'm so lucky to work with such a visionary" glad-handing thrown:
http://www.wetanz.com/holics/index.php?itemid=695&catid=2#mo...

A very detailed answer about Smaug from del Toro (they were counting down 20 questions, hence the number):
8 - I always thought creating Gollum would pose a great artisic challenge to the artists whose job it would be to adapt the Lord of the Rings. With the Hobbit I believe Smaug will pose one of the great challenges. Now we have all seen dragons in movies. But for the Hobbit I personally am excepting nothing less than unbelievable . Were will you go for inspiration? What styles will the art dirction look at? Personally I can see a lot being done with the setting from Pan's Labyrinth. Thank you and good luck to you all.

Guillermo del Toro - This is a big one-- Allow me to quote from my random responses at Onering.net

I am a big Dragon fan. I've said it before- And I was fortunate enough to be born a Dragon in the Chinese Horocope...

And although its always impossible to agree on the "greatest" of anything, I bring forth these two as the main film contenders for that title: Eyvind Earle / Disney's Maleficent dragon ( a triumph of elegance of color and design) and Vermitrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer.

In my opinion, every other design has borrowed heavily from these two. I plan to create something new and groundbreaking.

Smaug should not be "the Dragon in the Hobbit movie" as if it was just "another" creature in a Bestiary. Smaug should be "The DRAGON" for all movies past and present. The shadow he cast and the greed he comes to embody- the "need to own" casts its long shadow and creates a thematic / dramatic continuity of sorts that articulates the story throughou