The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Trad IRA to Roth Conversion Date:  6/14/2008  1:51 PM
Author:  cstillwell55 Number:  101049 of 127753

A conversion to Roth is a distribution from your traditional IRA. When you have nondeductible (after-tax) money in a traditional IRA, a portion of each distribution is a tax-free return of that after-tax money, and a portion is a taxable distribution of previously untaxed earnings and deductible contributions. The taxable portion is calculated in Part I of Form 8606.

Thanks, let me see if I understand. Let's suppose that the IRA is 25% after tax contributions and 75% is before tax contributions and gains. I can't specify to convert just the 25% that has already been taxed so any amount converted is comprised of a 25% non-taxable and a 75% part which is taxed. Is that about right?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us