The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/back-to-work-26734443.aspx

Subject:  Back to work Date:  6/15/2008  2:29 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  13439 of 19221

It’s going to be an ‘interesting’ week. In one of my companies I have to let the CEO go. Frankly, he’s not happy, it’s obvious he wants to do other things and that’s showing in the company. Better said: he’s lost interest.

Which means my semi-retirement ends as I fill in the interim of finding a new CEO. That means being there Tuesday to Saturday, opening the doors at 9 and closing the place at 5:30. Sure, I can relegate staff to do this but in this transition I want to be there and it be known I am there full time.

It came to a head on Saturday when staff pulled me into the lunchroom and talked about his management style. I said I had noticed this for several months and was concerned enough to talk to him about it but there’s been no change and staff is resentful. I realized I either lose him or staff – and I can not continue without staff.

So it’s back to managing a business again after celebrating my 70th birthday. Wish me luck. I’ve managed businesses since 1970 and I know I can step in and not screw things up but I haven’t been in direct control at the CEO level for many years. I’ll have to get back into the swing of things doing that function.

As I asked: wish me luck.

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us