The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/long-story-short-i-asked-to-switch-to-part-time-26736093.aspx

Subject:  Re: Musings about grad school tuition and loans Date:  6/16/2008  12:49 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  274169 of 308858

Long story short, I asked to switch to part time, and I asked for a demotion, both of which they gave me at the beginning of this year. Things have drastically improved, but patent law is still not something I'm interested in. I need to move on.

School is moving on. After an entire year of soul-searching and career counseling, I think that getting a master's degree is what I want to do.

I think.

I understand having a job that it isn't possible to handle. My husband was given a transfer. If he hadn't, he would have had to quit. We are about two years from him being able to comfortably retire, but the situation was critical and we would have handled the consequences.

The problem with moving on immediately is the debt. Returning full time at your current job doesn't sound like a great option, but can you find an additional part time job for awhile? It would allow you to build up an efund and eliminate part of the debt. Having some buffer going in would make success more likely.

Debra
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us