The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltif-social-security-is-taken-away-even-26741287.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama on payroll tax Date:  6/17/2008  11:47 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  13477 of 19483

<<If Social Security is taken away -- even from those of us who have managed to save and invest -- we may not be able to stay afloat. Those who don't stay afloat will end up on some other government program. Why not allow us to keep what we have worked for for so many long years -- and which allows us to live with dignity -- instead of forcing us to rapidly spend down all else we have managed to save until we end up on true welfare?
>>

Perhaps you can be satisfied that the money you paid in taxes helped to finance a nice vacation cruise for some already welthy member of the WWII generation.

But if you thought the taxes you were paying were being carefully saved to pay you benefits when you retired, you were willfully fooling yourself, in my opinion. I've read hundreds of article since about 1970 or so predicting Social Security funding problems when the boomer generation got to retirement age.

And each year you've gotten an annual statement from Social Security that has notified you that benefits can be changed by Congress, and you have seen benefit cuts such as increasing the Social Security retirement age from 65 to 68 and making Social Security subject to income taxes.

Soory, but in my opinion only fools would ignore all that evidence of impending problems and choose to believe the honeyed promises of politicians who are now either dead or out of office.

If you don't have the money to retire ----keep working.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us