The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltsecond-many-older-employees-will-be-26742358.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama on payroll tax Date:  6/18/2008  11:25 AM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  13481 of 19483

<<Second, many older employees will be pushed out long before they reach 67. And there are only so many greeter jobs available at Wal-Mart. Seriously, how many 60+ new employees in high paying jobs has your current or former company hired in the last year? For the majority of workers all the talk about working more years is just talk unless they're willing to take huge pay cuts.

Third, I've seen many employees forced to retire early due to health issues. Even with savings and a reduced pension, they count on SS to bridge the gap between just existing and living.

>>

I see no reason why people should get Social Security payments because they can no longer get the high pay they got used to. That's another good reason to save and invest when you can, rather than to spend and spend.

The disabled who aren't able to do any kind of work would continue to be eligible for Social Security disability in my scheme.

I'd also boost the normal retirement age from 68 to 70 or 72.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us