The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-only-thing-i-know-for-sure-is-that-you-need-26742893.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax Question - transferring from 401K to Etr Date:  6/18/2008  1:43 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  101097 of 126602

The only thing I know for sure is that you need to move up the food chain at WellsFargo. AFAIK separate accounting of a Roth 401(k), including earnings, is required of the plan. The Roth 401(k) can be rolled only into another Roth plan or a Roth IRA. There's no way one check is possible for your entire 401(k).

Even though it is incorrect, it doesn't mean that an airhead in the office would not do it. Hopefully, a distribution would require review by a competent person but I would not count on it.

Having Etrade submit the proper rollover paperwork should result in a proper rollover. Attempting to work up the food chain at WellsFargo should eventually result in a correct answer, but I am not certain that it is worth the effort.

Debra
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us