The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-i-contribute-to-a-403b-the-maximum-26769173.aspx

Subject:  Re: 403(b) catch-up provision Date:  6/27/2008  3:52 PM
Author:  Hohum77 Number:  63038 of 76083

Hi, I contribute to a 403(b) (the maximum allowed) and recently learned that I am eligible for the "catch-up provision", which allows me to contribute more (an additional 3K per year until 15K has been added as catch-up". This provision allows people who undercontributed at a younger age to "catch up" a bit on contributions. Here's my problem: I can't afford to put that extra 3K into my 403(b) without spending down money I have in savings (my 6 month emergency fund). Is it better to take advantage of the catch-up provision, and reduce my non-retirement savings, or should I bag it and keep my savings, in case of some unforseen event? I already put $ into an ira as well. If I leave this job, I think I can no longer participate in the catch-up provision (I think) Thanks!

What type of IRA account do you have?

If you have a Roth IRA, in a real emergency, the Roth IRA contributions can be part of your emergency fund. Roth IRAs also have catch-up contributions (an extra $1000, if over age 50)

Just an idea,
Hohum
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us