The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-quotnewquot-ee-better-than-quotoldquo-26771527.aspx

Subject:  The "new" EE better than "old&quo Date:  6/28/2008  8:04 PM
Author:  math999man Number:  24136 of 35351

I am considering cashing in some EE that where purchased before May 1, 2005 - so they are collecting a variable interest rate based on 5-year Treasurys. Returns are about 2.7%. I could get the needed cash from other sources, so I may not want to cash these in and loose these bonds when all I can purchase now are the "new" EE. Are is really any great advantage of the "older" EE vs the "new" fixed rate EE ?

For reference I have copied the US Gov description of the newer EE and older EE below -

Series EE Bonds purchased on or after May 1, 2005, earn a fixed rate of return, letting you know what the bonds are worth at all times. See our press release for more information. EE Bonds purchased between May 1997 and April 30, 2005, are based on 5-year Treasury security yields and earn a variable market-based rate of return.

math999man
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us