The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-jeff-thanks-for-your-comment-are-you-concerned-26821591.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buying ANZ Date:  7/16/2008  10:22 PM
Author:  whatismyoption Number:  6166 of 6186

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your comment.

Are you concerned about CBA's exposure as the largest mortgage lender in Australia. The potential non-performing mortgage assets they hold is orders of magnitude larger than (it too lazy to look it up, but know it is big) than ANZ total exposure to Opes Prime of $650M.

Even if the absolute worst case scenario comes around for ANZ with Opes that is still a one-off problem. I don't consider that likely as ANZ is a secured creditor. The poor investors who didn't read what they were signing are now, due to falling, moving from unsecured creditors to debtors. I wish them well and hope they learn something of value from this expensive lesson.

Let me know when you here that bell ring at the bottom. ;-) Will that 10-15% move up be from the bottom or just a head fake? It's so hard to tell real time.

What I know is that I am incredibly unlikely to lose capital buying ANZ at $17.16. I hope the markets continue to fall as a net buyer I'd like to be offered more stock at lower prices.

With the high AUD against USD I would not encourage US investors to be buying Australian companies, unless they think it is different this time and the USD is cactus.

Cheers
Dean
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us