The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-steve-is-making-a-very-important-point-26840477.aspx

Subject:  Re: Blending at a Whole New Level Date:  7/23/2008  8:51 PM
Author:  jj307 Number:  211440 of 253076

I think Steve is making a very important point here. I don't doubt for a second that Zee gets the 50% percent returns he describes. However I doubt if many others do, and I know I can't. We've seen many big backtest numbers over the past (too many) years but very few people report anything like them when they describe their real money results.

But as Steve says, the really great thing is that it doesn't matter. Chasing the 100% CAGR is a wonderful intellectual challenge, like chasing the perfect wave. But if I could reliably get a measly little 20% per year after commissions, I would have more money than I could ever use, and I would start saying "Good morning Warren" when I looked in the mirror.

Maybe the really smart people here can spend a tiny bit of their time on a fun exercise of developing simpler, lower risk methods for those of us with these very modest goals. thanks, Jeff
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us